Director of Visitor Experience & Retail
Apply by email: Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and put Director of Visitor Experience & Retail in the subject line.
WHO WE ARE
The Williamson County Convention and Visitors Bureau, known most commonly by its brand name, Visit Franklin, is the official destination marketing organization for all the communities of Williamson County, Tennessee. That means it is our job to share everything that is incredible about our community with the world! By doing so those leisure travelers, groups, conventions, and business travelers to Williamson County enhance the economic prosperity of the entire county through increased travel-related spending. We attract millions of visitors per year, and because of that, the hospitality industry contributes over $1 billion dollars of positive economic impact to the community.
As an organization, we are dedicated to high-quality work representing our hospitality and community partners with credibility, authenticity, and integrity. On the Visit Franklin team, there are lots of personalities, individual talents, experimentation, and of course creativity that comes together in incredible ways here. We value honesty, open communication, and collaboration which creates an environment that cultivates respect, creativity, and innovation. When it comes to good ideas, titles don’t mean much to us. All are welcome to be a part of the process.
The Visit Franklin culture is unique…and that’s why our employees love it here.
The Director of Visitor Experience is a member of the organization’s leadership team. The primary role of this position is to ensure a welcoming experience while supporting dispersal of visitors to and throughout the county. In addition to managing the Visitor Information Center and part-time staff, this leader will focus on developing experience and merchandise offerings representative of the destination brand. The Director of Visitor Experience will be expected to proactively pursue improvements and enhancements to maintain a best-in-class visitor experience.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Work with the President & CEO on long range visitor experience goals and plans.
- Regularly analyze strengths, opportunities, and trends to drive traffic and guest satisfaction, as well as optimize product assortment and increase sales.
- Recruit, train and supervise a team of part-time employees who provide exceptional customer service, a welcoming environment for the visitor, and consistent adherence to company guidelines.
- Own relationships with partners of existing and potential new visitor experiences which can be sold in the Visitor Center and through additional channels both online and offline.
- Establish and own relationships with local vendors to bring a unique merchandise assortment and diverse consignment program.
- Support opportunities for development of tourism related experiences and facilities by outside partners.
- Work with the Marketing Department on promotions to drive visitor traffic both in person and phone call volume, drive retail and experience sales, and highlight special events.
- Coordinate special events in the Visitor Center including partner relationships, creative execution, logistics, and budget.
- Provide regular sales and visitor analytics reports to the President & CEO in support of strategic merchandising, development, and marketing decisions.
- Create and manage an annual budget for Visitor Experience and Retail initiatives.
- Must possess strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently, set expectations and monitor delegated activities.
- Ability to look for ways to improve and promote quality with accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ability to make decisions in a timely manner and exhibit sound judgement.
- Ability to plan, develop and coordinate multiple concurrent projects.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to analyze business data and trends.
- Proficiency with POS systems and Microsoft Office with emphasis on Excel.
- This job operates in a professional, open-office environment in downtown Franklin, TN.
- Supervise part-time Visitor Information Specialists
- Able to lift brochures and gift shop products and displays up to 40 lbs.
- Able to navigate stairs daily. (Reasonable accommodations may be made).
Position type/Expected hours of work
This is a full-time position. Typical hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. with flex schedule options available after three months of employment. Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Up to one trip per year for a professional development conference.
- Must have a vehicle and valid driver’s license to perform deliveries and other job functions involving transportation.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. The Williamson County Convention and Visitors Bureau values diverse experiences, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “preferred” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn’t followed a traditional path, don’t let that stop you from considering WCCVB. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
Required education and experience
- Associate degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum (5) years related experience in hospitality, sales and/or customer service.
- Minimum (2) years of people management experience.
- Retail experience required.
Preferred education and experience
- Visual merchandising experience
- Financial and inventory forecasting experience
- Ecommerce experience
- General understanding of tourism and marketing
- Experience with inventory management and/or scheduling software.
- Familiar with basic principles of retail and visual merchandising.
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
Williamson County Convention & Visitors Bureau provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Williamson County Convention & Visitors Bureau complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Williamson County Convention & Visitors Bureau expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Williamson County Convention & Visitors Bureau’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.