Cornerstone Presbyterian Church (First Baptist Church)
Baptists first organized in Franklin about 1830 but it wasn’t until 1849 that the congregation could afford to build their church. The church, as was common then, had two front doors, one for men and one for women and children, with a partition down the middle. On the men’s side were large spittoons, chewing tobacco being a popular habit among the men. A balcony served as slave galleries. During the Civil War, the building suffered damage as pews and church records were burned, and flooring, the roof and woodwork damaged. The church rebuilt, then rebuilt again in 1890 after a fire. In 1913 the church received payment of $1,500 for the Civil War damage from the U.S. government. The congregation moved to larger quarters about two miles east of here in 1988 and sold the church to Christ Community Church, which outgrew these buildings. Currently it is the home of Cornerstone Presbyterian Church.