Franklin First United Methodist Church
Methodists organized the first church in Franklin within months of the founding of the town. The original brick sanctuary stood on the east side of First Avenue South facing Church Street on land donated by Franklin’s founder, Abram Maury in 1799. The church relocated in 1826 to the northeast corner of Second Avenue and Church Street. That building was used as a hospital during the Battle of Franklin. Following the Civil War, in 1871, the congregation purchased this lot and built the current sanctuary. Note the two identical front doors, often seen on 19th century churches. One door was for men, the other for women and children. It continued inside: men sat on one side, women and children on the other, often separated by a partition. One notable pastor here was Civil War chaplain E. M. Bounds of the 3rd Missouri Infantry, CSA. The regiment fought at the Battle of Franklin, where Bounds was seriously wounded and taken prisoner. After his release he returned to Franklin to help rebuild it spiritually and was named pastor of the church. An author, he wrote books on prayer that are still in print.