Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church

Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church
Home » Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church

Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church

Gideon Blackburn organized the First Presbyterian Church in Franklin in 1811 and built the first church on a lot north of the City Cemetery on Fourth Avenue. By 1842, the church purchased this lot and built the first of three sanctuaries at this location. The first sanctuary, made of brick with slave galleries, was badly damaged after the Union Army used it as a field hospital after the Battle of Franklin. By 1887, a new church was built that looked just like the current building. That building burned to the ground in 1905 and was rebuilt to look just like its predecessor. First Presbyterian Church moved to Franklin Road two miles north of Franklin in 1995 and Historic Presbyterian Church now is at this location. 

435 West Main Street
Franklin, 37064