Old City Cemetery

Home > See & Do > Old City Cemetery

Old City Cemetery

In Old City Cemetery repose the remains of the town’s earliest settlers. Joel Parrish deeded the land in 1811 to the town commissioners who paid $100 for the two acres located near the river. A walk among the old tombstones reveals prominent names often found in early records and traces a valuable migration period of the town. Among the early settlers buried here are Ewen Cameron, who built Franklin’s first house, Dr. Daniel McPhail, who died in the Mexican War and Fountain Branch Carter, whose house is now the Civil War museum. Also in this cemetery are the graves of Col. and Mrs. Guilford Dudley. Colonel Dudley is one of four Revolutionary War Soldiers who are buried here of the many who settled in Franklin. The rear portion of the cemetery was set aside for blacks both slave and free. The largest stone memorializes Anarchy Cowles, whose husband Jesse first purchased his own freedom from slavery along with his wife’s and children’s, raising the money from a business he operated as a slave. The Old Glory Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution erected the stone gates in 1916 “in honor of the pioneer men and women buried here.” 

4th Avenue North
Franklin,  TN  37064
4th Avenue North
Franklin, TN 37064
United States

You Might Also Like