Former Site Of Tennessee Female College
The Tennessee Female College was organized in 1857 as a place of higher learning for young women. At the time, college did not mean further education after high school; it was what we now know as high school, and girls from Franklin, Middle Tennessee and even some from out of state attended here. The rise of public schooling finally put the school out of business about the turn of the 19th century. After the first building burned in 1886, a three-story brick structure with tower served Franklin until it was demolished in 1916.