Harris McEwen House
A small one-story brick house stood on this 11-acre lot about 1832. Ten years later a prosperous young Franklin businessman and lawyer named John McEwen purchased it, leaving the existing structure and building, the imposing Italianate dwelling you see today, at the front of the lot. Italianate features seen here include wings, corniced eaves and Corinthian-columned porches. John McEwen was Franklin’s mayor during the Civil War and helplessly surrendered the town to the Union Army as the Occupation period began. The family huddled in the cellar during the Battle of Franklin and opened the house to both Union and Confederate soldiers afterwards. Many Southerners lost it all during and after the War, but John McEwen was not one of them. He dealt extensively in real estate, operating a spa in Western Williamson County for many years. His longest-lasting contribution to the Franklin of today was turning down the Federal government in its efforts to save a prime part of Franklin’s battlefield and create a battlefield park. Instead McEwen subdivided the land into building lots and named the streets after the Battle of Franklin’s fallen Confederate generals.