This Tennessee vernacular style with a Greek Revival porch was built in the 1820s. During the Battle of Franklin its basement sheltered many Franklin residents. Dr. Hardin Perkins Cochrane, who bought the house in 1893, was one of the first men in Franklin to own an automobile. At one time classes of Tennessee Female College were held here until the college burned in 1886. It was a nursing home for many years.