Though called the Marshall House, the builder of the house was a Mr. Saunders who opened a school in the building in 1805. It changed hands several times and then became the property of John Marshall, a distinguished lawyer and book collector. When the War came, both Confederate and Union officers came to the house, including a Hessian officer and his wife who uninvited lived in the house with the Marshalls for some time. John Marshall died in 1863, leaving a widow and several children, including Park, a boy of 9 at the time of the Battle of Franklin. During the battle, a cannonball crashed through the back wall of the ground floor of the house and splintered into the back of an armoire. Both the cannonball and armoire remain in the house today. Park, a lawyer like his father, lived in both Washington, D.C. and Nashville before moving back to Franklin and this house. Park was elected mayor of Franklin nine times, and died in 1947, after which the house was electrified—for the second time. Park installed electricity around 1900, but was so disturbed after he turned the lights on for the first time that he had all the wiring ripped out and continued to read by kerosene lamps until he died. The house remained in the Marshall family until 1997.