Andrew and Patrick Campbell operated the Campbell School from 1858 until the 1890s. The brothers were asked to serve as principals at Harpeth Academy where the boys had ‘gotten out of hand’. When they wanted a holiday from class, they roughed up their teachers. They tried their bad behavior on the Campbell brothers and things forever changed. The students received bloodied noses and blackened eyes and complete order was restored. On March 1895, while the teacher’s back was turned, four boys scratched their names on the front windowpane for posterity.