Toussaint L’Overture Cemetery
Audio cell phone tour stops #12 and #13 of the Historic Parks Audio Cell Phone Tour are located in Toussaint L'Overture Cemetery: On January 1, 1884, just 19 years after the Civil War and only seven years after the reconstruction of the South, 44 black men of Williamson County met in the town of Franklin, Tn to purchase four acres of land to be used as a burial ground for persons of African decent. The land purchased was located adjacent to the all-white Mount Hope Cemetery and was once occupied by the Union troops during the Civil War. White pine trees were planted in a straight line between the two cemeteries as a visible boundary. The cemetery was named after former slave, Toussaint L'Overture, who became the leader of the Haitian Revolution. Toussaint L'Overture is one of the few physically intact remnants of the Reconstruction period. It is located in "Hard Bargain", a historic African-American neighborhood established in 1875.