The Franklin Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized about 1871; this building dates to 1876. Prior to its construction, the congregation met first at the Baptist Church, then at a female academy, then at the Masonic Lodge. Hugh Cathcart Thompson, who would later achieve fame as the architect of Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium, the “Mother Church of Country Music,” designed the structure in the style of Gothic Revival. The current steeple replaces one that blew down in the 1940s in a windstorm. The handmade pews with wooden pegs are original to the church; the stained glass is of more recent origin. Major renovations to the church were completed in 1995.