German immigrants Albert and Margaretha Lotz moved to Franklin in 1856 and two years later built this house, a product of Albert’s master carpentry and woodcarving skills. In 1858, Albert’s craftsmanship gained him a commission carving the mantels and other woodwork in Franklin’s courthouse. The Civil War changed life for the Lotzes, in ways they could not have imagined. When the Confederate charge came late in the day on November 30, 1864, this house found itself at the epicenter of the Battle of Franklin. The Lotz family raced across the street to take shelter with their friends the Carters, in their basement, and returned in the morning to find their planked house nearly destroyed. What remained of the building sheltered wounded Confederates aft er the battle. Visitors will see and hear about lives of promise disrupted by the “Bloodiest Five Hours” of the Civil War, while viewing magnificent period furniture and decorations. Artifacts from the Battle of Franklin, including weapons and bullets as well as soldiers’ personal items, are on display, as are bloodstains and cannonball scars. Thomas Cartwright, a leading authority on the Battle who has been featured on the History Channel, among others, leads tours of the battlefield from here. Guided tours available daily. Admission charged.