Williamson County Veterans’ Park And Cannon (Located On The Grounds Of Williamson County Archives)
The Veterans’ Park honors Williamson County servicemen who served in American wars from the Revolutionary War to the Gulf War. Bricks are inscribed with each soldier’s name and conflict. The largest brick is in honor of George Jordan, the only Williamson Countian to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor. Born a slave, Jordan joined the U.S. Army after the Civil War, and became a Buffalo Soldier, fighting in the Indian Wars in New Mexico. In command of 19 men, Sgt. Jordan held his ground in an exposed position and forced back a larger number of the enemy, preventing them from surrounding the command. This park is home to a restored cannon that was dedicated on November 12, 2007. This rare cannon is a 3.2 inch Field Gun Model. The muzzle was manufactured in 1892 at the Watervliet Arsenal in Albany, New York and weighs 832 pounds. The carriage was built in 1887 at the National Armory in Springfield, MA.